Skip to main content

Reply to this post | See parent post | Go Back
View Post [edit]

Poster: Video-Cellar Date: Jul 12, 2014 6:46am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: RIP Video-Cellar

The youtube channel you linked to was the victim of an over zealous film distribution company. They became quite annoyed that we were able to prove that a film they DMCA'd was firmly in the public domain. So they complained to Youtube and had the channel shut down. We have appealed to Youtube and that appeal is still in progress, but generally Youtube takes the side of the major multi-national corporate copyright claimant and not the public domain. And, as Youtube point blank refuse to give a specific reason for the suspension or an example of a community guidelines violation, I doubt the channel will return. It mostly mirrored The Video Cellar Collection here so nothing is lost.

The Video Cellar Collection is all about the open distribution of public domain material. The vast majority (about 80%) of creative work made in America before 1964 is in the public domain. I just can't see any purpose in trying to create legal fictions attempting to move the other 20% (the copyright ones) into the public domain. It comes down to if a movie is really in the public domain I will say so, but if it is not really in the public domain I won't say it is. Seems like a great reason for all this hatred.

This post was modified by Video-Cellar on 2014-07-12 13:46:29